Saturday, September 23, 2006

One woman's BIS 2.0 "disaster" story

Just got an email from "Jeannie," whose misadventure when she unintentionally set in motion an upgrade from BIS 1.8 to 2.0 ended in a misadventure so acute she says she is done with BlackBerry altogether.

"Disaster struck today," Jeannie writes. "I have been very careful not to upgrade because I would lose use of the website to open, print and store hard copies
of the emails also sent to the handheld.

But today, she logged in to read her BlackBerry email and was automaticlaly shown the upgrade/new account screen. Jeannie says she did not hit "yes," but after inquiring of tech support she was told she would have to hit "yes" on two different screens for an upgrade. She declined to do so.

"After 5 hours on the phone with both cingular and RIM the end result is I can not go back to the 1.8 platform," Jeanie writes to me, "ALL of my stored 171 emails have been lost forever because somehow all traces of my account -username, id. etc - have been obliterated into the ozone."

Jeannie believes RIM's motive in offering the upgrade was to sell more software while avoiding having to store email. And to put it mildly, she is not happy.

"What a rip. Blackberry used to rule, now it is a limp version of what it was," she writes. "As soon as I find a replacement that works for me, I will deep six the berry. The loss of my email is a big financial hit to me."

 

soft99
2006-09-24

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home